Located in Northeast of Vietnam and a part of the West Bank of the Gulf of Tonkin, Ha Long Bay not only owns the natural beauty space but also hide the legendary beauty. Therefore, it has been a popular destination for travelers in Vietnam for decades. This breathtaking UNESCO world heritage site also recently received the honor of being named one of the New Seven Natural Wonders of the World. A lot of people rush to the Bay in order contemplate how beautiful it is every year, if you have plan to visit Halong, don't miss our sharing below to take a wonderful trip.
1. The best time to visit Halong Bay
Halong Bay is a part of the Gulf of Tonkin, which is featured by four distinct seasons (spring, summer, autumn and winter), most notably are winter (from November to March next year) when the weather is cold and summer (From April - October) when the weather is really hot.
The featured weather of northern Vietnam, therefore, makes Halong be the an attractive tourist destination at any time of year. Domestic visitors love to come Halong in the summer (from April to October) while foreigner usually take time to visit the bay in the winter.
The best time to visit Halong is March to May or August to October
Summer is the main tourist season of Halong, then you should probably go on the 2 stages: from March to May and from August to October, and should avoid the duration of June to July because of the following reason:
- The weekends of June to July is the peak season, the number of tourists to Halong is very crowded that is able to make them uncomfortable and services price is usually higher as well.
- June and July is the month when a lot of typhoons and storm occur in the Gulf of Tonkin in general and Halong in particular, so be careful when you decide to travel Halong Bay in this time. The best time to visit Halong are from March to May or August to October.
If you just have time to come Halong in this time, you should book a tour from tourist company instead of backpacking, they will help you minimize the two weaknesses above and help you have a exciting trip.
2. Preparation before the trip
- Bring sun-cream and you can freely play under the sun or sunbathe without worry about sunburnt or problem to your skin.
- Do not forget to bring a sunglass, a wide hat and a pair of flip-flop
- Prepare swimwear because price for rent a swimsuit in Halong is quite high
- Take a camera to record the best moments in Halong
3. Transportation to Halong.
There are many ways to get Halong, it depends on your condition and preference. From Ho Chi Minh City, you can take the train to Hanoi and then drive to Halong City or take a coach, route Ho Chi Minh City - Hai Phong, then drive to Halong. This ways of transportation is quite cheap but takes a lot of time. Another way is that you fly from Ho Chi Minh City directly to Haiphong's airport or Hanoi's airport and then drive to Halong.
If departure point is Hanoi, you can get to Halong by various means of transport such as car, coach, bus, motorcycles and even trains. Halong is 170km away from Hanoi, it take about 3 - 4 hours in total. Coach to Halong can be found at My Dinh station, Luong Yen station, the price is about VND 100,000 per passenger for seat and VND 200,000 for reclining seat. To reach Halong by motorbike, from Hanoi, you can follow two routes: the firrst route is Hanoi to Sai Dong - Bac Ninh, along the road 18 through Pha Lai, Chi Linh , Dong Trieu, Uong Bi and Halong, it is 155km in total; the second route: The second route is from Noi Bai Airport - Bac Ninh - Highway 18A through Pha Lai - Sao Do - Dong Trieu - Uong Bi - Halong, it is 160km in total. With train, take the train from Gia Lam to Halong, it takes about 5 hours with ticket price of about 100,000 VND/person/one way.
4. Cuisine in Halong
There are many restaurants from luxury to affordable for you to choose. Typical restaurants can be named such as Mithrin Restaurant (Hung Thang, Bai Chay); Panorama Restaurant (168 Ha Long, Bai Chay); Son Ca Restaurant (98 Ben Tau); Bien Xanh Restaurant (08 Le Thanh Tong); Hai Ninh restaurant (zone 3, Vuon Dao); Thien Ly Restaurant (Ly Thuong Kiet, Cua Ong) ... If you want to enjoy the specialties of Ha Long Bay, enter Sea Food Restaurant (Ha Long Road); Thu Huong restaurant (Ha Long street); Nuyen restaurant (Tran Hung Dao street) etc.
5. Activities, where to visit in Halong Bay
- Visiting Ha Long Bay, you can book a cruise to contemplate the beauty of Halong Bay. Dozens of big and small islands with different shapes can be seen here: an island like dragon flying - Dragon Island (Hòn Rồng), Trong Mai Islet - rock of 'the kissing cocks', La Vong Islet - like an old man are fishing ...
- Bai Chay Resort is considered as unmissable site in Halong. Located along the banks of Halong Bay, Bai Chay Resort is suitable for swimming and relaxing. Or Co To Island with beautiful coral reefs, clean and fresh water, long and smooth sand bank, Co To is compared as the pristine, tranquil and graceful daughter of Ha Long Bay.
- Tuan Chau Island, the most beautiful island in Ha Long Bay and also has the tourist attraction in the bay. In addition, this is the only island inhabited. Beach and water games such as beach volleyball, soccer, surfing, canoeing, will bring you a healthy, fun and impressive holiday.
- Ha Long has a large cave system, each cave has its own beauty and the stories related to it. Guests can choose to visit Luon cave located on the island of Bo Hon, 14 km from Bai Chay to see the stalactites built for millions of years in various shapes and sizes.
Luon Cave, Halong Bay
- Yen Tu Pagoda, where the system of pagodas and towers merged with nature to create a peaceful atmosphere among the bustle of Halong.
- Cua Van fishing village will bring peaceful space and give you a chance to explore and join in the life of fishermen as well as learn how to row, how to catch squid, shrimp,...
These are our advices to help you have the best preparation for your upcoming trip to Halong. Wish you will gather unforgetable moments in Halong Bay. If you have any question or need further information, feel free to contact us by email email@example.com or phone number: (84) 977 535 669 or (84.24) 6664 0587.
Author: Freeland Journey